30 May 2014
Following a spate of incidents in West Belfast we are warning tenants to think twice before allowing a stranger into their home.
Alison McBride, Housing Manager said:
â??Unfortunately on one recent occasion the bogus callers did gain access and assault the occupier, therefore we urge tenants to be extra vigilant as bogus callers are on the increase and theft is usually their aim. These bogus callers will frequently claim to be from a public body like the Housing Executive or a contractor.Â Residents should not allow anyone to enter their home without proper identification.â?
Helm Housing offers the following key advice to tenants:
- Our staff and contractors, and those from other public bodies will have a photographic identity card.
- Check this carefully, if they have forgotten their ID card they will understand if entry is refused.Â
- If you are in any doubt at all, take no chances, and refuse entry.
- Only a bogus caller will insist on entry without proper identification.
- If you have a door chain or spy hole - use it, or look out of the window.
- Phone us on 028 9032 0485 to check the callerâ??s details if they claim to be from the Helm Housing.
- You can also phone â??Quick Checkâ??, on 0800 013 22 90 a 24-hour freephone service to check the identity of the caller.
- If you are suspicious call the police.