Gas Safety Week 2016

19 September 2016

Helm are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week, taking place between 19th and 23rd September 2016. 

 

Gas safety is important all year round, but it is not always a household’s top priority. Gas Safety Week - coordinated by Gas Safe Register - provides a platform for the gas industry, consumer organisations and individuals to focus all our communications about gas safety in one week, generating interest in the media and having a greater impact amongst the public.

 

Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
 
Helm Housing is responsible for servicing and maintaining gas appliances in your home other than those which you have fitted and own such as gas hobs and cookers.
 
For more information visit http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/gassafetyweek/stay-safe/top-tips-to-stay-safe/ and follow the gas safety advice below:
 
  • Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Tenants – make sure your landlord arranges this. Set a reminder so you don’t forget at www.staygassafe.co.uk.
 
 
  • Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. You can find and check an engineer at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500. (Helm check that engineers employed by our contractors are Gas Safe registered) 
 
 
  • Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
 
 
  • Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
 
 
  • Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
 
 
  • Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home. If there is no alarm in your home or it is faulty, please contact 0800 408 5500)
 
For gas safety advice or to find and check an engineer visit the Gas Safe Register website at www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk. Alternatively call the free helpline on 0800 408 5500.

« Back to News