What is Tenancy Fraud?
Every year in Northern Ireland, people on the waiting list are being denied a home because someone is being dishonest about their housing needs.
Radius is committed to preventing, detecting and tackling tenancy fraud where it exists within our developments to ensure our homes are legally occupied by people entitled to live in them.
There are different types of tenancy fraud. Below are the most common:
- Not telling the truth when applying for a home.
- When a tenant rents their home to another person without our knowledge or permission (sub letting).
- When a tenant leaves their home empty without informing us.
What happens when someone commits tenancy fraud...
- They are likely to lose their tenancy if caught and may not be entitled to apply for social housing in the future.
- Depending on how serious the fraud is, they could be fined and/or sent to prison.
- They are preventing someone who may be in greater need of housing from getting offered a home
What Radius is doing...
- Checking photographic ID of tenants before signing the tenancy agreement or visiting tenants at home who are unknown to us.
- Completing early tenancy counselling visits 6 weeks into their tenancy. ID is checked again at this visit.
- Carrying out unannounced tenancy visits.
- Housing Officers investigate any tenants who have not allowed access for essential servicing e.g. gas boiler servicing.
- Fold investigates all reports of tenancy fraud.
- In many cases reports of tenancy fraud are found to be unproven.
- Legal action can result in Fold regaining possession of the property.
What you can do...
Please contact us as soon as possible if you believe there is tenancy fraud taking place in your area.
Call us on: 033 0123 0888
Write to us at: Tenancy Fraud, Radius Housing Association, 38-52 Lisburn Road, Belfast, BT9 6AA